Easter Safety Tips 🐣🐰

a dog lying on grass with bunny ears

If you are planning to celebrate Easter, don’t forget some of these important Easter safety tips from ASPCA for your furry friends.


This yummy treat for humans can cause gastrointestinal upset, pancreatitis, stimulation to the nervous system (hyperactivity, tremors and seizures) and elevation in heart rate for animals. However, not all chocolate is created equal! The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is for pets.

Plastic Easter Grass

Pets cannot absorb plastic Easter grass into their bodies, which means that it can become lodged in the gastrointestinal tract causing serious damage. Signs for concern include vomiting, diarrhea, decrease in appetite, lethargy and stomach pain.


Several plants can be dangerous for pets. During Easter, the ASPCA sees an increase in calls regarding Lilies and specific bulbs that bloom in the Spring. Lilies can cause serious concerns for our feline friends. Exposure to any parts of the plant can result in kidney damage and gastrointestinal upset. For a reference of all poisonous plants to avoid, click here.

Fertilizers and Herbicides

Is it finally beginning to warm up? Many people begin gardening and yardwork on Easter weekend and include the use of fertilizers. Make sure these items are stored where pets cannot chew or puncture them. Keep your pets indoors while applying the products. Always follow the label instructions and wait to let your pet out again until the product has been watered in or the ground is dry.

If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, contact us right away. Alternatively, you can contact the ASPCA Poison Control Hotline at (888) 426-4435.