Learn how to protect you and your pets during flea and tick season 🐜
No one wants to worry about fleas or ticks being brought into their home from their furry best friend. Not only are they unwanted, but they pose health risks for you and your animals.
Did you know that they do more than just try to get under your skin and suck blood? They also can transmit zoonotic diseases that include the plague, Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and more. Lucky for you, there are many options for flea and tick preventatives that we can recommend for your furry friend depending on if you want a topical application or to give it orally (by mouth). Below, is a list of questions you may want to consider reviewing with us before making your decision:
- How often do I need to use/apply the product?
- What parasites does the medication protect against?
- How long will it take before the product begins working?
- Are there any reactions?
- Will this interfere with my pet’s other current medications?
- How old does my pet need to be before using the medication?
- Are there any other pets in the household?
- Is there a product available for cats?
It is important to remember that ticks and fleas are present in the Northeast year-round, making it vital that you give your pet preventative medication twelve months a year (not just in the warmer months). At Hill & Harbour Veterinary Center, we want to keep your pets safe and protected. Give us a call at (401) 398-7807 to discuss your pet’s needs, or have a refill of your current medication sent straight to your door every month by visiting our online pharmacy and never forget a dose again!